World System Theory Versus World Polity Theory

World System Theory Versus World Polity Theory
Unit 1

Globalization is something I really never thought about. I was too wrapped up in my own life to think about where parts are made. Who was making them, who was getting the benefits of the money made? Where people getting exploded from one country for the wealth of others in a different country. I’m ashamed to say this is all new to me. So, to further my look into globalization I will be examining World System Theory and World Polity Theory.

First, let’s consider World System Theory in our reading of the Globalization website on World System Theory by Frank Lechner. It brought out that this system is based on a hierarchy. First, there is the core, the core is strong states, they don’t depend on anyone. They pay lower prices for goods and exploit cheap labor. They believe in capitalist and exploiting the poor. The next is semiperipheral areas, they are a little dependent on the core, they are considered in between the core and the peripheral ones. They help by preventing opposition. Then we have the peripheral. These are with the lowest skills, they lack strength, and they are cheap labor and will not be ever helped out of poverty. Peripherals are very dependent on the core. They all believe in the system, to them the system is how they survive. The ones with manpower rule over the others.

As I continued my reading of the Globalization web site on World Polity Theory by Frank Lechner, I learned about World Polity Theory. No one state or nation or actor, group, or organization was in control. Because of this it opened the door to a competitive spirit and help with innovation and development. This in turn created more jobs giving people a chance to make it out of poverty. I also learned they were the most into homogenization, wanting things uniformed for all. They worked together to incite change in policy.

World system Theory and World Polity Theory are very different. In World System Theory only the powerful really benefit. Many are left in poverty with no end in sight. In past generations, we have seen that capitalist regimes don’t work. World Polity Theory is better than that and would be my choice if I had to pick one. If I understood this correctly no one was dependent on anyone else. They all had a chance to develop and innovate.

Since this was my first time reading about this, I’m sure I missed some points. But I did learn I’m not in agreement with a World system. I feel they take advantage of the weak and impoverished. I’m interested in learning more about globalization and how it affects many nations poor and rich.




Reference,

Frank Lechner 2000-2001 World System Theory
http://sociology.emory.edu/faculty/globalization/theories01.html

Frank Lechner 2000-2001 World Polity Theory
http://sociology.emory.edu/faculty/globalization/theories02.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *